Erin Miller

Friday, December 9, 2016

The Shadow of the Gauntlet by Casey Caracciolo

So my partner picked this book up from one of the conventions she sells her art work in. This and the sequel to it anyway. When she came back, she handed me the book saying, "You'll probably like this. You read faster than I play through video games." Anyway, she was right and I did like this book a lot.
So let's get on with the good and the bad, starting with the bad first.
The cover of this book could be better. The simple design is nice but since books are still judged by their covers, it needs a better cover. Of course, that's just my aesthetic opinion on the matter and I shouldn't say anything about it since the book does have 52 reviews at the time of this blog post.
I also felt it was too short, but that's not a bad thing at all.
Moving on to the good...
What can I say about this book that will make it more awesome? Absolutely nothing! It's a standalone on its awesomeness.
So what's this bloody thing about anyway?
Cue in Thomas Scargen, a chronic slacker that somehow manages to graduate high school. He has a robot that takes place of a nanny. (Clearly, this is set in the future.) Eventually, he wakes up from a nightmare and everything stems from this. Yareli, a Native American girl,  helps him escape from some villains.
Okay, so it sounds like a typical fantasy story right? Throw in a whiskey drinking, Shakespeare quoting werewolf, a day-walking vampire, a teleport dragon, a gorilla bartender, a robot with autism, a fox spirit, mechanical midgets, and more. Intrigued yet? This review doesn't do this book any justice. Just please pick it up and read it for yourself. It's a new spin on fantasy and scifi. A must read for fans of these genres.
With that said, I'm going to tell my girlfriend to let me read the second book and possibly go stalk the author and find out when he plans to release more books.
Buy The Shadow of the Gauntlet on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment